Five Ways to ‘Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day’ in the Dining HallMar.20, 2013
March is National Nutrition Month! The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics provides tips for you to eat well every day.
How can you eat well? Here are some tips to ‘eat right, your way, every day’ in the dining halls.
1. Choose the Salad Bar. Load your salad with lots of veggies that are offered at the salad bar every day and skip the cheeses, croutons and bacon bits. Swap creamy dressings for a lighter option-like balsamic vinaigrette or italian.
2. Everything in moderation, right? Don’t deprive yourself of foods you love–just watch out for portion sizes. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and will have it once in awhile, but I make sure to load the rest of my plate with veggies!
3. Grab an apple, banana, or orange before you go! Keep healthy snacks on hand for later in the afternoon to help you stay on track and snack smart.
4. Sandwiches and wraps are available every day in the dining halls.
Skip the cheese. Keep the mayo or dressing to a minimum. Instead load your sandwich up with veggies and make sure to ask for a whole wheat wrap or bread! Try to make at least half your grains whole grains every day–and eating a whole wheat wrap or bread is a great way to help achieve this goal.
5. Track what you eat in the dining halls using the My Fitness Pal app.
Type ‘NC State’ before the menu item that you are looking for and it will pop up! You can plan your meal before you go (by first checking the menu for the day listed on NC State Dining’s website) or log what you ate after lunch. Tracking what you eat and how much can help you keep your portions and calories within healthy limits.
The My Fitness Pal app can be used to create a customized plan- – so sign up for your free account if you didn’t during the One Change Campaign!
–KatieTags: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, dining hall, healthy eating, My Fitness Pal App, National Nutrition Month, NC State Dining, Salad Bar